About the Department
The Master of Computer Applications (MCA) programme was started in the year 1984. St. Joseph`s College was the first Arts and Science College to offer MCA programme in India and the first to produce the Ph.D. in Computer Science in the Bharathidasan University. There are 9 aided faculty members. Among the 6 Ph.D. holders, 5 faculty members are guiding research scholars for Ph.D. and 5 faculty members are qualified with NET/SET. The faculty members of the Department serve as members of inspection committee of the Bharathidasan University for approval of Computer Courses, members of staff selection committee of other colleges, members of organizing committees of various conferences of international and national level and members of editorial board of research journals.
The International Conference was organised in 2014 and 2016. The National level conference was organized in 2005 and 2007. The companies like Asian Paints, Patni Computer Systems, Fulcrum Technologies, HCL, Infosys, Wipro Technologies, Satyam, TCS, Sutherland Global Services, iGate, Savvion, NetMagnus, Kumaran Systems and ISG Novasoft prefer to provide project cum placement to our students. To adhere to the motto of the Department "Professional Excellence", the Training and Placement Cell of the Department has helped to place many students in yester years.
- To mould the students with Professional Excellence
- To impart the technologies with social and spiritual values in order to form the young men and women for others
- To strengthen the research and consultancy through funded Research projects
- To increase the placement, Signing MoUs with prominent organizations.
- To provide Special training for Economically backward students to improve their skills sets.
Three class rooms are equipped with computers and A-V facilities to make them smart class rooms and there is an Seminar Hall with a capacity of 144 Sqm. Rev. Fr. Savariraj Computer Center has 2 IBM Servers with 95 systems. The Library of the Department has a collection of 2090 books for the use of staff and students.
Uniqueness, Thrust and Speciality of the Department
- St. Joseph`s College was the first Arts and Science College to offer MCA in India and first to produce the PhD in Computer Science in the Bharathidasan University.
- The MCA course having 9 Approved Staff and among them 6 have acquired PhD. The Department receives grant-in aid from Government of TamilNadu.
- The Department had always been the role model for curriculum design to the parent University and other Colleges of the State. This is the first department to introduce Soft Skill as a separate course for the MCA programme.
- During every syllabus revision the latest trends in the IT industry like Android programming, Cloud Computing, Pervasive Computing etc., are included in order to equip the professional skills of the students. Our Students are very much appreciated by their employers for their values and professional commitment.
- The thrust areas of research are Cognitive Informatics, Data Mining, Web Services, Network Security and Mobile Computing, Internet of Things(IoT), Cloud Computing, Data Analytics.